Saturday, January 17, 2009

Will's 20th Birthday

I can't believe it. My oldest son is celebrating his 20th birthday. He came home this weekend to visit with us and some friends who are in town.

Having children certainly is a safari life. I had no idea when I adopted this beautiful baby in Peru that he would bring such extremes of joy and pain, heartache and celebration. And I had no idea how deep a love could be.

On this occasion, I take time to reflect on these years, with all of their gifts. You know, some of them weren't beautifully wrapped or gracefully presented. And yet they all brought us to where we are now, a lively, quirky family of teasing and laughter, annoyance and exasperation, gathered around the dinner table for a special meal, celebrating this wonderful young man. My boy.

1 comment:

  1. I love the concept of a safari life. Puts a whole new spin on the things that happen to/with/for/about me. Makes my life feel more like an adventure. Even the stuff that doesn't seem so adventurous. Thanks for the perspective shift.

    ReplyDelete